Hardware firewalls are not included in this list. For an excellent comparison of some of these programs see PCPro’s article.
- Kerio Blurb: Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) helps users control how their computers exchange data with other computers on the Internet or local network. Kerio Personal Firewall is a necessity for all desktop computers connected to broadband Internet, using DSL, cable, ISDN, WiFi or satellite modems. Within an organization, Kerio Personal Firewall prevents a single computer from attacks initiated by internal users. Remote workstations and laptops running KPF are protected from Internet born attacks. Price: Free to $45
- Tiny Personal Firewall Blurb: Tiny Personal Firewall 5.0 (TPF5) represents the next generation security solution which integrates several protection layers for the ultimate safety of the desktop and server computer running Microsoft Windows operating system. Price: $50
- Agnitum Outpost Blurb: With hacker attacks, data theft and privacy violations rampant on the Internet you need a comprehensive solution to safeguard your PC. With Outpost Firewall Pro, you get award-winning firewall software that takes care of your online security needs. Price: $40
- Intego Netbarrier (Mac version also available) Blurb: NetBarrier 2003 was designed to protect PC users from the perils of the Internet. Its four-level line of defense provides optimal security so that you can use the Internet without leaving yourself vulnerable to its dangers. Price: $50
- ISS BlackICE PC Protection Blurb: This BlackICE PC Protection scans all inbound Internet traffic for suspicious activity on home or small business systems. Price: $40
- Kaspersky Anti-Hacker Blurb: Kaspersky Anti-Hacker blocks the most common hacker network attacks by continuously filtering incoming and outgoing traffic. The program detects most types of DoS attacks, as well as Ping of Death attacks, Land, Helkern, Lovesan and SMBDie. In addition, Anti-Hacker detects attempted port scans that often precede mass attacks. When an attack occurs a notification is immediately sent to the user. Price: $40
- TheGreenBow Personal Firewall Blurb: TheGreenBow Personal Firewall is the first Personal Firewall made in Europe, addressing equally home/private users and professional users and corporations. Price: E35
- McAfee Personal Firewall Blurb: What makes our firewall special? Enhanced Intrusion Detection, a fast Setup Assistant that enables your protection in minutes and Smart Recommendations that take the guesswork out of responding to attacks. Advanced Trojan Detection helps prevent rogue desktop spyware from “phoning home” personal data. And Visual Tracing tracks hacker attacks back to the source, helping you to notify the proper authorities. Price: $40 (annual licence)
- Norton Personal Firewall Blurb: Symantec’s Norton? Personal Firewall 2004 keeps hackers out and personal data in. It makes robust firewall protection easy by automatically hiding your PC on the Internet and blocking suspicious connections. Norton Personal Firewall also protects your privacy by preventing confidential information from being sent out without your knowledge. Price: not available
- TrendMicro PC-cillin Internet Security (comes as part of anti-virus package) Blurb: Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security helps make the detection and removal of viruses more precise and powerful. The enhanced Personal Firewall helps prevent intrusion from hackers and the new breed of Network Viruses. Trend Micro? Damage Cleanup Services can now be triggered as soon as a virus is caught to keep your system functioning properly. Price: $40 per year
- Sygate Personal Firewall Pro Blurb: Small-Medium Businesses and Consumers need leading edge protection for their computers and workstations to protect their valuable information and keep unwanted hackers out. Our Award-winning Sygate Personal Firewall Pro includes a comprehensive Intrusion Protection System (IPS) which includes IDS, DoS protection, and Trojan protection which sets this program high above other personal firewall solutions. Price: $40
- ZoneAlarm Blurb: Easy-to-use firewall blocks hackers and other unknown threats. Stealth mode automatically makes your PC invisible to anyone on the Internet. Price: free to $50
Let me know of any I’ve missed or any errors.