Facebook Connect – To What?
I’m trying to work out why this irritates me so much: Visit The Insider and you’ll be continually pestered by a popup (for some reason not caught by the pop-up blocker in Firefox) inviting me to install The Insider’s Facebook application.
This is the much-touted Facebook Connect – a successor to the disastrous Beacon thing, that upset users because it drew their activity on other sites and published it to their Facebook feed. Facebook Connect enables you to use your Facebook log-in to access other sites, and to bring your Facebook friends with you as you visit those sites—in other words, insteading of building separate communities for each site you frequent, you have one: Facebook.
I’m not going into the pluses and minuses of this right now. What concerns me is how it touts itself.
First off, there’s no way to stop the pop-up window coming back: Click cancel and it’ll come back a few pages later; hit the x in the top right hand corner and the same thing happens.
Secondly, The Insider knows who I am:
I have no Facebook windows open in Firefox. So I can only assume that The Insider is reading my Facebook cookies. Is there any other way? So somehow the Facebook Connect third party site is able to connect my login ID to my name and email address, even when no Facebook session is in progress?
It’s irritating, but it’s also a source of some concern. If Facebook Connect proliferates, are we going to get these popups at every site? Why is there no way of blocking this and future intrusions, should I so wish? And why are Facebook Connect partners getting access to my Facebook signon and name without my say-so?
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)