Directory of Screencasting Resources

by jeremy on June 1, 2006

Updated Nov 13 2006: added a piece on screencasting in Linux which looks helpful, albeit complicated.

This week’s WSJ.com column, out Friday, is about screencasting (you can find all my columns here; subscription only, I’m afraid):

Screencasts are really simple to grasp. And in some ways they’re not new. But I, and a few thousand other people, think they represent a great way to leverage the computer to train, educate, entertain, preach and otherwise engage other people in a very simple way. Something the Internet and computers have so far largely failed to do.

Screencasts are basically little movies you create on your computer. In most cases, they are movies of your computer. You use special software to capture what keystrokes and mouse clicks you make on your screen – demonstrating how to use Google, say (the screen bit of screencasting — and then, once you’ve edited and added a voiceover, upload it to your Web site and let everyone else watch it (the casting bit.) It’s as simple as that.

Here are some links that may help. Not everyone calls what they do screencasting, but most do. There’s tons more stuff out there, but most of these sites will take you there too.

Introductions

Software

Screencasts

Uses of screencasts

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Amit Agarwal June 1, 2006 at 6:42 pm

Thanks Jeremy for the links. I am big screencasting fan myself.

Would you consider vidcasting different from screencasting ?

Both can have video as well has software screenshots but vloggers never use the term screencast to describe their content.

What’s your opinion on this ?

JW June 1, 2006 at 8:07 pm

Amit, good question. I think I’d make a difference between something that is a video of a person talking, or any kind of real world footage, and a screencast, which captures (or largely captures) action on screen — whether it’s mouse movements, drawing, or images. I also tend to think of screencasting as a sort of demonstration, rather than a show. But I guess it blurs.

JL June 15, 2006 at 2:29 pm

Amit,

One thing we are doing is embedding flash based TTS characters into our presentations and either playing pre-recorded audio or triggering Text-To-Speech using Java events built into our software. Email me and I’ll send you some samples.

Peter June 23, 2006 at 12:31 am
vinay kumar February 9, 2007 at 3:37 pm

offshore software development, application software development outsourcing, software development india, Customized Software Development in India at low cost..

vinay kumar February 9, 2007 at 3:39 pm

manufacturer of concrete cutter, bar cutting machine, power trowel,vacuum dewatering system.

vinay kumar February 9, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Asa Engineers deals in- CNC Machined Components, Precision Milled Components, High Speed Laminations Tools, Precision Components, Deep Draw Press Tools.

vinay kumar February 9, 2007 at 3:41 pm

Fitness equipment,Fitness equipment india,Health equipment,

sabrina November 8, 2007 at 5:26 pm

Hi there,

Great post … I thought you might be interested in another free Screencasting program to add to your list …

DemoCreator: http://www.sameshow.com/demo-creator.html

Records your screen activities and can export it into SWF, email, auto run CD/EXE with LMS compliance …

More details on the website …

Cheers

paper machines July 2, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Thanks so much for the information and tutorial. I saw your video on Photojojo and yesterday made three books using more photos within the books mixed with different papers. They are fantastic! Because I wasn’t sure about the glue (I just used Elmers’), I applied 3 coats of glue. My daughter loved hers (with photos of our cats) and started using it as a story book (to write her own) right away.
Thanks again! :-)

johnpeter August 6, 2009 at 6:35 pm

thanks

liliyiss@yahoo.com May 6, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Total Screen Recorder could record the video as long as you wish. Not like the other screen recorder, which just let you record one minute or with large watermark on the video.

lucyisssi@gmail.com July 15, 2010 at 10:39 am

GodswMobile Software dedicated to providing a better experience life for the people who use and rely upon Microsoft Windows Mobile devices for their personal and commercial needs. With thousands of users over 50 countries worldwide, GodswMobile has become the popular, trusted and convenient choice to backup and restore the valuable information which stored in mobile phones.

lucyisssi@gmail.com July 15, 2010 at 11:51 am

lucyisss October 28, 2010 at 2:15 pm

nice post…

Ian bell May 9, 2014 at 5:02 pm

One excellent product missing from your screencasting software list – My Screen Recorder Pro.