The Tag Report II: Some Links
There’s lots to read on tagging, but here are some interesting places to start:
Here’s an interesting IM chat with Joshua Schachter, who amused me immensely by begging me not to give too much publicity to his deli.cio.us website because his servers couldn’t handle all the traffic following any media mention. My brief IM chat with him will follow soon. I also chatted with Bowen Welle — that chat will appear soon, I hope — but here’s one post that drew me to seek him out.
Here’s Wikipedia’s definition of Folksonomy, which points out, inter alia, that “Folksonomies work best when a number of users all describe the same piece of information. For instance, on del.icio.us, many people have bookmarked wikipedia, each with a different set of words to describe it. Among the various tags used, del.icio.us shows that reference, wiki, and encyclopedia are the most popular.”
Talking of Wikipedia, the lively discussion on Many 2 Many has recently tackled the whole issue of Folksonomy, and of whether Wikipedia needs supervision. Louis Rosenfeld worries about folksonomies getting out of hand. Another, earlier, look at the same issues from Peter Merholz, and HeadShift, and Alex Wright, and the Laughing Meme.
I’ll try to keep adding links to my deli.cio.us taglist. Please do let me know of any other interesting links: This is really just a smattering of what is out there on what I hope is is a growing topic.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
28. January 2005 by jeremy
Categories: Taxonomy | Tags: Alex Wright, Bowen Welle, cio, Delicious, Folksonomy, Information, Joshua Schachter, Louis Rosenfeld, Peter Merholz, Semantic Web, Social bookmarking, Social information processing, Tag, Yahoo! | Comments Off on The Tag Report II: Some Links