Ukraine Weighs In On The Search Stakes
Another addition to my index of indexing programs: diskMETA, from <META> Inc. “the largest search engine provider in Ukraine and a leader in Cyrillic multilingual search engine morphology technologies”.
A press release issued today says diskMETA is one of the fastest desktop search engines, and is available both as freeware and shareware. The program “is intended for extra large data volumes, UP TO 100 GIGABYTES. It can create up to 100 indexes, index up to ONE MILLION various files. The search time is never more than ONE SECOND”. It works on all Windows platforms (98 or higher).
The file search works with Office document formats (DOC, XLS, RTF, TXT), HTML pages, CHM, PDF files, ZIP and RAR archives. There are three versions: Lite (free), Personal ($50) and Pro, which supports morphological English searches and Intranet wide searches ($100)
The search technology used in diskMETA, apparently, “has a long and glorious history. It is used for a decade in the nationwide biggest and most popular web search engine www.meta.ua, in a series of search tools for web-sites and CD-rooms installed in most governmental and financial national institutions” in the Ukraine.
My tupennies’ worth? It’s fast, intuitive and unfussy. You can also view the raw text in a special preview window, but it doesn’t support preview in the same way that X1, dtSearch or the new Copernic Desktop Search do. That said, it’s great to see a new player on the block, especially one so enthusiastic.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
08. September 2004 by jeremy
Categories: Search, Software, apps | Tags: Copernic Desktop Search, Desktop search, desktop search engines, DtSearch Corp., file search works, HTML, Index, Information retrieval, Information science, leader, Microsoft Windows, multilingual search engine morphology technologies, player, search engine, search technology, search time, search tools, Searching, Storage, Ukraine, Web search engine, web search engine www.meta.ua, web-sites, X1 Technologies Inc. | 1 comment