In an earlier column I mentioned the excellent Belklin Voice Recorder microphone that plugs into an iPod. Now they’ve gone one step better: The Universal Microphone Adapter, that connects to your iPod and to any audio microphone with a 3.5mm plug.
You can use the iPod player’s abundant storage capacity to store hundreds of hours of audio, and easily review your audio notes using the built-in 3.5mm jack with headphones or your computer. Copy recordings to your computer for easy storage, editing, or to send in e-mail.
The Universal Microphone Adapter, iPoding reports, costs $40 and is expected to begin shipping on March 17th in North America. It
• Attaches securely to your iPod with remote/headphone connector
• Records 16-bit audio at 8kHz
• Includes real-time recording-level LED indicator
• Adjusts microphone sensitivity easily with 3-level gain switch
• Works with iPod software version 2.1 or later
(Thanks to Buzz Bruggeman of ActiveWords for pointing this out)